Butterfly Creek Junior Keeper
Do you have a child that loves animals? Let them spend a day during the school holidays with our keepers and animals where they will learn what it is like to be a zookeeper – cleaning, feeding, monitoring, caring and playing with the animals. They will get up-close with some of our cutest creatures including our otters, lizards, farm animals and more!
We have 2 fantastic programmes tailored to both older and younger kids. Our Junior Keeper Rookie programme (aged 7-11) is an introductory programme where kids will learn the basics of animal care including feeding, cleaning and play with the animals. Our Junior Keeper Explorers programme (aged 11-14) is a more in-depth look into animal care designed for older kids where they will learn about conservation, behavior and health.
Note this programme is only available during school holidays. If you have any questions please email our team on [email protected].
Junior Keeper Programmes
Junior Keeper Rookie
Junior Keeper Programme (Rookie) – $110.00
Age group: 7 – 11 years old
Our Junior Keeper Rookie programme is an introductory programme designed for kids aged 7 – 11 who love animals. They will spend a day during the school holidays with our keepers and animals where they will learn what it is like to be a zookeeper – cleaning, feeding, monitoring, caring, and playing with the animals. Learning more about our animals, this programme is fun and educational and a great introductory course for kids aged 11 who are interested in venturing into the Junior Keeper Explorer programme. They will get up close with our barn animals, butterflies, otters, lizards and wētāpunga.
Junior Keeper Explorer
Junior Keeper Programme (Explorers) – $125.00
Age group: 11 – 14 years old
Our Junior Keeper Explorers is a more advanced/in-depth programme designed for older kids (aged 11-14) who are passionate animal lovers. They will spend a day with our keepers helping care for, monitor, clean and feed the animals as well as creating animal enrichment and learning why it is important. They will also learn more about animal behaviour, health, and conservation. This programme is fun and educational and gives an up-close experience with our farm animals, aviary, tamarins, otters, wētāpunga, lizards, tarantula, and butterflies.
Book Junior Keeper Online
- Drop off at 8.30am and pick up at 3.00pm.
- Minimum of 5 children per day, a maximum of 6. You will be notified 1 week beforehand to confirm whether there are enough children to go ahead with your booking.
- Payment needs to be made in advance to secure your booking and you will receive a confirmation email once this has gone through.
- The Junior Keeper experience includes a train ride, certificate, lanyard and photo with an animal.
- Bring snacks, lunch, camera, water and gumboots/closed-toe shoes.
- Lunch packs can be purchased in advance when booking ($14.50 each).
- Lunch pack options: Chicken nuggets, mini hot dogs, fish goujons or spinach rolls. All come with chips and a drink (juice or water).
- No adults during the programme, however you are welcome to enjoy the park – family members receive 20% discount off individual day passes on the day.